Features of our neighborhood:
• Mango and papaya are at the front of the produce section in every major grocery store.
• Camp Chase. When we bought the house but were still waiting to move in, I had a dream in which people asked me “how’s the new house?” and I said “It’s great, except for all of these ghosts of Confederate soldiers. They make it hard to drive through the neighborhood at night.”
• A 24-hour jelly donut drive-thru.
• Westland Mall has hosted at least two child pageants and a gun show since we arrived. This Saturday’s Cinco de Mayo celebration/garage sale may be the city’s most authentic.
•We actually know our state representative, and he has already taught us the secret West side handshake.
• An ice cream stand with over 25 flavors of soft serve (?) !
• The only Mexican/Filipino grocery store in town that I am aware of.
• Discount warehouse cheap liquidation factory outlet clearance everything. On sale now!
• Taquieras everywhere. Dan is visiting a tortilla production line this weekend.
Plan B version 127 for our uncertain future: Dang if this side of town doesn’t need a decent bookstore and coffeeshop with WiFi.